The change to Set Bonuses on Armorings only

May 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM
I haven't dug through all the code yet, but it seems to me that the set bonus armorings change will need a more thorough re-working of the code.

In addition, every armoring/barrel/hilt of Artifact quality or above, requiring level 50 and above, now becomes "bound to slot" -- so "ripped from" Armorings/Hilts/Barrels can only go into the same slot. This will multiply the number of these "items" in the database by the number of slots such an item can go into.

Also. in the case of mainhand/offhands, the barrel/hilt binds to the type of weapon/offhand it was originally in (or first put into).

This has 2 main effects:
  1. You can no longer equip Companions that use Melee AIM weapons using AIM ranged weapon barrels.
  2. You can no longer send offhand barrels/hilts to alts using main-hand Bind-on-Legacy weapons.
I plan to tweak the manual item sources files to change all the planetary comms stuff, and add in the level 25 item mods from the Makeb planetary vendor, plus the Campaign stuff from the Classic Comms vendors.
May 8, 2013 at 5:37 AM
Ancaglon wrote:
In addition, every armoring/barrel/hilt of Artifact quality or above, requiring level 50 and above, now becomes "bound to slot" -- so "ripped from" Armorings/Hilts/Barrels can only go into the same slot. This will multiply the number of these "items" in the database by the number of slots such an item can go into.
I don't understand why we would need different items for each of these. Sure it would prevent armorings from being moved to different slots in-game, but for a character builder standpoint why would this matter? I'm pretty sure the game now just adds a flag for the specific slot it needs to go into and doesnt have seperate items for each location, otherwise crafted armorings would need to be made for each slot as well.
May 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Well, I don't know how it handles this internally but Crafted items are not bound to slot until inserted in a slot. More significantly, the item source matters because you can't assume you can just rip armorings from any slot to put into any other slot, so the "ripped from" information would not be correct for armorings. (of course, it continues to work fine for mods and enhancements).

From a pure character builder perspective, you still want to be able to indicate the applicable set bonus(es) so that theorycrafting can get all the information it needs from the profile. Prior to 2.0, the name of the shell was able to define the number of pieces in the set automatically, but this clearly doesn't work at 2.0 and later. (I must see how the old War Hero armoring set bonuses were handled....)
Coordinator
May 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM
The "ripped from" sources are auto-generated, and I don't think they would need to be changed... you can still rip armoring from anything that contains that armoring.

What you are saying is that on the character builder, we would have to check the slots from which an item can be ripped, and only allow it to go into the same slots. And this only applies to armoring of artifact quality or better, and requiring level 50 or higher? Or is there an item level cut-off?
May 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Ancaglon wrote:
From a pure character builder perspective, you still want to be able to indicate the applicable set bonus(es) so that theorycrafting can get all the information it needs from the profile. Prior to 2.0, the name of the shell was able to define the number of pieces in the set automatically, but this clearly doesn't work at 2.0 and later. (I must see how the old War Hero armoring set bonuses were handled....)
I think this is the real takeaway here... that the armorings in the item database now needs to "know" the set bonus they're providing when it's not a generic armoring. For example:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/40359/dread-guard-force-mystics-headgear
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/36319/denova-force-mystics-headgear-(armoring)
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/35905/denova-force-mystics-headgear-(armoring)
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/35858/advanced-force-wielder-armoring-27

As you can see, the set bonus is linked to the shell (the headpiece) and that the armoring that's listed there is a generic one, when in fact the armoring in that item might be generic when extracted... but now carries set bonus information on it (in game that is). It's a big mess...

Set bonuses are no longer on the shells and have all moved to the armorings. The problem lies in how to express a set bonus in the character builder when the current system relies on the name of the shell to know, versus the situation in game where inspection of the set bonus on the armoring is what's required. To complicate things... set bonus contribution from the pieces in game is now broken into two tiers - classic and current.

No good ideas on how to solve, just providing info...